The BELLA Center and many of its endeavors are supported principally by the U.S. Department of Energy Office of Science, Office of High Energy Physics. Additional project- or program-specific funding comes from
- The DOE National Nuclear Security Administration, for the development of a quasi-monochromatic gamma-ray source.
- The LBNL Laboratory-Directed Research and Development (LDRD) program, for R&D toward fiber-optic-based laser-plasma accelerators and toward a novel concept for high-average-power ultrafast lasers.
- The LBNL Strategic Planning Support Activities program, for pre-conceptual-design R&D on an LPA-based ion accelerator facility.
- The DOE Office of Basic Energy Sciences, for an Early Career Research Progam grant for development of free-electron lasers based on laser-plasma accelerators.
- The Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation, for development of free-electron lasers based on laser-plasma accelerators.
We also gratefully acknowledge the support of the National Science Foundation for student and postdoc activities at the UC-Berkeley campus that complement and are coordinated with BELLA Center research.